Music was an important part of my growing up. I recall my dad putting an LP on the record player and the sounds would filter throughout the house. Those are fond memories to me because it was always such a happy time. Who can resist the wonderful sounds of music?
My mom and dad still to this day has a huge collection of LP's. There's a little bit of everything, from Elvis to Charlie Pride to Jose Felciano. But, what gives me the most vivid memories of those days long ago, is none other than Willie Nelson.
The "Red Headed Stranger" was played all the time in our house. I don't recall having a great fondness for the actual music as a child, but I do now, as an adult. Not only does it bring those childhood memories rushing back, but the sound of Willie Nelson's voice, is just... well, soothing and comforting. (I know! Willie Nelson! Who woulda thought?)
I continue to love the songs of Willie Nelson. I've even seen him in concert, but really that's not anything special since a LOT of Texans have seen him in concert. It kind of goes with the territory, ya know?
I hope that as my kids grow, the music they hear today will create lasting memories for them as well. I hope the music that I listen to not only brings them joy, but comfort as well. I want them to have a flood of memories of their childhood when an "oldie, but goodie" comes on the radio when they are driving their kids to school one day.
And, just for my dad, I occasionally throw in a Willie Nelson song for good measure. You can never get enough of Willie and there's no reason why they can't love his songs as much as I do!
What songs bring back memories from your childhood?
Erasure songs bring back memories of our oh-so-tame (or is that lame?) sneaking out attempts in high school.
ReplyDeleteLove this post. I love music and its memory making, too. And who doesn't love a little Willie in their repertoire?
ReplyDelete