01 November, 2006

My Hair Affair

I've always had the same hair style with the only variation being long or short. I've always sported all one length hair, except for one unfortunate memory lapse when I forgot the reason why I don't wear bangs. That was back in 2002ish and it was a long road getting my hair back to my usual all one length style.

When we arrived back in Texas from Denmark, my hair looked like this. I kept the long hair for a while, not really knowing what I wanted to do with it. At one point, I decided to donate it to Locks of Love and I cut my hair chin length the fall of 2004.

Here's what the new style looked like. It was a cute cut, but as always, I was regretting cutting my hair so short. Like I said, I didn't stray too far from my variation of long/short hair.

By February, a year later, this is what my hair had grown out to. Look familiar? Yes, it was long, straight and (um...) all one length. Go figure.

Then one day, I decided to go for it and get a really sassy hair cut and pay mucho dinero (that's Spanish for "oh my gosh, you just spent waaaaaay toooo much money!!!") to get my hair cut at a salon in town. It was an 'upscale' salon and my appointment was made with one of their mid-level "star" stylists. (Whatever that means... does anyone really know?!)

I arrive at my appointment and meet the girl who's going to butcher, I mean, cut my hair. The tips of her hair are dyed in blue. That right there, should have been an indicator to high-tail it right outta there, but no... I didn't want to be mean! (Puh-leez!)

But, because I had arrived at the salon with the intention of coming out of there with a new 'do, I told her to take my long luxurious locks and treat it as a blank canvas. Okay, no I didn't actually say that, but it was essentially what I was doing.

This is the result of that haircut. Sure, it doesn't look too bad. But, what you don't know is that I have natural flat curls in the back, so this cut, only accentuated the natural flat curls of my hair that I always desperately tried to hide. I also had many, many, many (many, many) layers cut in my hair, so I couldn't even get it around a curling iron because the hair would go everywhere. It looked horrible and I hated it. I felt as if I had "BAD HAIRCUT" stamped across my forehead.

I lived with this haircut for about a month before I went to one of those cheapy hair cutting places to try to fix my hair. It was my lucky day, because I made appointment with a man named Andy and he has been salvaging my hair since April. I've probably had 4 haircuts since then and finally I am happy with my hair.

Why? Because it's my same old 'do I used to. But, truthfully, I can live with this style. It's me! Kind of like a little trademark. I owe it all to Andy. He's awesome - and at $14.95 a cut, who can beat that?

So, now... I've memorialized my hair affair in commentary and photos, hoping to avoid more unfortunate hair offenses.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/02/2006

    $14.95 is a steal, the bottom picture is by far the best!
    ~G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair right now. Super cute and not too mommy! :) Plus, ya gotta love a deal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Just play nice.