05 October, 2006

The Commute


I'm tired of commuting Elisan to school and it's only been 8 weeks!

The drive is horrendous and I'm not exaggerating. I travel approximately 12 miles to Elisan's school and it takes me 50 minutes to get her there.

Yes... Really.

I am a total stress ball by the time we arrive at the school, that I'm nearly shaking like a leaf. If there is a phobia for being stuck in traffic, I have it.

Luckily, I've been taking an alternate route the last couple of weeks and the traffic, albeit, is hectic, it is managed my signal lights, which guarantees movement on a regulated basis. It sure beats sitting on the freeway with no where to go!

However today, I made the terrible mistake of listening to the traffic report and decided that I'd check out the freeway route again, since the traffic guy said it was not too congested. Oh, boy! What a mistake that was!

We barely made it, with two minutes to spare. No unexcused tardy slips today! Whoohoo!


Another thing that irritates me about the morning commute is the amount of people talking on their cell phones.

I'm so sick of seeing people yakking on the phone and not paying attention to what's going on around them. I've had plenty of near misses with people talking on the phone.

It's like an addiction for some. They pick up the cell phone as soon as they get in the car. It's like a smoker, who lights up, in the same manner.

I am not totally blameless in this, since I have been known to use the phone in the car. However, I use good judgment when determining when it is not a good time to chat it up with friends and family.

I'm waiting for "driving while under the influence of a cell phone" to become illegal in Texas... Until then... Hang up and drive or move outta my way you relentless addicted cell phone abusers...um, users.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Just play nice.