
For the first time in a long time, I'm feeling like a fashion frump.
I don't like my clothes, I don't like my hair and I hate almost every pair of shoes in my closet.
By the end of the day my make-up looks dreadful and my hair is completely un-done from the morning. I can't even put it into a pony-tail because it is still growing out from the hair cut mistake I made back in February!
Why am I in such a rut, you ask?
Probably because I loathe shopping these days. Gone are the days of shopping for sheer enjoyment. It's now about schlepping the kids, stroller, lunch, snacks, various drinks and diapers and wipes - just to go out on a 2-3 hour excursion.
Now, with Elisan in school I know I'll have more time to try to do a little shopping here and there, because it is a lot easier shopping with one kid.
The other reason I am in a fashion rut is because of the styles the stores are touting this season!
Um, hello? But, did I fall asleep and wake up in 1986? I bought the recent People Magazine Fall Fashion preview and apparently it is 1986. They (whoever "they" are) are bringing back skinny jeans, bulky sweaters, flat shoes, big ol' belts (to help fluff out your bulky sweater) and baby doll dresses w/leggings. Ick!
It's hard enough finding clothes that I like now, but to bring back the 80's is just terribly dreadful.
Finally, I'm in a clothes funk because I'm thrifty. Okay, I'll admit it...I'm cheap! There, I said it. But, I can't see spending $45.00 on a shirt and $80.00 on a pair of jeans. I don't care if they are the best fitting jeans ev-ah! I just can't do it. Also, what if, I do spend $80.00 on a pair of jeans, only to find out the my cute little boot cut jeans are no longer "in"! Oh, the horror!
I look at the other moms at Elisan's school and they don't look much better than me. Most of them are in t-shirts and capri pants--which I am beginning to loathe. Only a few of them would I consider "fashion conscious" individuals - and by that, I mean, no t-shirts or capris. (Is this what I've become - a t-shirt and capri wearing mama?)
I want...no, scratch that... I NEED a wardrobe over-haul. I'm about to the point of forking over major dinero so I don't look like a frumpy mid-30's SAHM - you know, the image that most people have when "they" (there's that word again) envision a SAHM.
I am not hip and I am not cool, and I don't pretend to be. But at some point I stopped caring. It's time to start caring again.
Off with the old, and on with the new...
Now, hun? I just need to the credit card and a day's worth of shopping - sans kids. You think you can handle that, for the sake and sanity of your lovely wife?
Amen sister! Often once we become "moms" we tend to neglect ourselves and our appearances because we are more concerned with our children. ITA with you on the 80s look, why bring it back? I hope the high waist pants are not coming back as well! As far as less expensive clothing goes, since becoming a "Mom" I have found plenty of "stylish" items at SuperTarget.
ReplyDelete~GINA