We were watching early morning cartoons today, and there is a segment, when they do a mini-science project with kids. One of the kids must've been from like JERSEY or somethin'.
Anyway, the little boy said "St-ahs" in reference to "Stars".
Elisan said, "St-ahs? Mom! It's 'Sta-RS', not 'st-ahs'. We say it RIGHT, don't we Mommy?"
She's asking me? The Queen of the Drawl?
But, my answer was indeed, "Yes!"
Reminds me of the time in Minnesota, when I was standing in the check-out line at the grocery store for the first time. I was waiting for them to begin bagging my groceries and the check-out girl said something like this (as equally as rude, but I don't recall the exact wording...)
Her: "You gonna start begging your groceries?"
Me: "HUH!?"
Her: "You gonna start begging your groceries? So you don't hold up the line?"
Me: "Beg?"
Her: "Yeah, beg 'em"
Me: (lightbulb moment!) "Oh, you mean BA-G. You want me to bag my groceries? Oh, yeah, sure..."
Not only was I floored that I had to bag my own groceries... the HORROR! But, the word "Beg" for "Bag"? That was even more astounding!
I'm sure my diction is not all that great, and I sure know that my grammar is lack-luster from time to time..., but at least my 4 year old understands me!
(I cannot wait until she begins correcting my grammar though! What a joy that will be!)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! Just play nice.